I recently hosted a baby shower for my friend. It's her second baby and she has almost everything she needs for the new arrival. As I prefer to give practical gifts to my friends, I thought that the best thing to give her is diapers. She will need it anyway and it could be decorated nicely. A diaper cake is then! A diaper bouquet would also look nice but I think a diaper cake is much easier to make.
Ahaha my husband disapproves of the name, but if you don't think about it much, I think it resembles perfectly this structure.
I made one a few years back, but it was a mini version, so let's see how to make a diaper cake with surprises inside!
Time spent: 2 hours
Total cost: $25 + wine of your choice
- approx 80 diapers ( I got a box of 96)
- rubber bands
- rope or large rubber band (to tighten each row)
- black sharpie
- cardboard for the base
- decorative ribbon
- flowers or other decorations
- bottle of wine or whatever your friend is kin on (as an option, it could be a baby formula bottle)
1. Cut a circle from the cardboard (I traced a large dinner plate)
2. Roll in diapers and secure them with the rubber band.
Surprise #1: To make it fun, write some fun quotes on the diapers before rolling them in.
It might cheer up a tired mom at night 😀
3. Surprise #2: Center the bottle and start layering diapers in a circle around the bottle. What a great surprise it will make for an exhausted mom to see the bottle 😀 As an alternative you can use a formula bottle.
Make 3 rows for the bottom layer.
Tighten each row with a rope or a large rubber band.
Don't worry that the rope shows, you will cover it with a decorative ribbon later.
4. Make your way up for the second layer.
I had 3 rows in the bottom layer, 2 in the middle layer, and 1 on the top.
5. When you are done with layers, take out the ribbon (I think different sizes work perfectly together) and wrap it around your cake.
6. Add flowers to the ribbon. I also added little socks as a topper. As an option, you can decorate with hair accessories for the first photoshoot, toiletries, baby hats, pacifiers, or this adorable crochet flower band for a girl that is so easy to make that anyone with basic crochet skills can make it in 30 mins.
PIN IT FOR LATER>>>>>>>>>
PATTERN FOR A CROCHET FLOWER BAND FOR A GIRL
Flower Crochet Pattern
Round 1: 6 dc into the first chain. Sl st to the top of the first dc. (6)
Round 2: ch 2, 3 dc into the same stitch, ch 2, sl st into the same stitch. *ch 1, sl st in next stitch. ch 2, 3 dc into the same stitch, ch 2, sl st into the same stitch* around. (6 petals made).
Round 3: ch 3. You will bring this chain behind the first petal on the previous round and sl st into ch 1 space between the petals. Do this behind each petal. Behind the last petal, sl st into the first ch 3 space you made. (6 ch 3 spaces made)
Round 4: ch 2, 5 dc into the same ch 3 space, ch 2, sl st into the same space. *ch 1, sl st in next ch 3 space. ch 2, 5 dc into the same stitch, ch 2, sl st into the same space* around. (6 petals made behind first set of 6 petals)
Round 5: ch 4. You will bring this chain behind the first petal on the previous round and sl st into the ch 1 space between the petals. . Do this behind each petal. Behind the last petal, sl st into the first ch 4 space.
Round 6: ch 2, 6 dc into the same ch 4 space, ch 2, sl st into the same space. *ch 1, sl st in the next ch 4 space. ch 2, 6 dc into the same stitch, ch 2, sl st into the same space* around. (6 petals made behind the second set of 6 petals).
Bobble for Center of Flower
Round 1: 7 dc into the first st. Sl st to the top of the first dc. Ch 1. (7)
Round 2: sc into each st. Sl st to the top of the first sc. Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing onto the flower. (7)
Leave a long tail and sc for the desired length of the band. I prefer to make it a bit longer so it's easier to tighten up on the newborn head.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
This DIY Wooden Baby Gym that I made for the same baby shower 🙂
I think this diaper cake is an amazing gift for a baby shower or when the baby is just born. And the flower band is like icing on a cake;)
Have fun making it and happy creating!