Today I will share with you my mom's Honey Cake recipe. It's a very popular and traditional Russian cake. It is so delicious it melts in your mouth and has a delightful sweet aftertaste. I remember growing up in Siberia we almost always had this cake for special occasions, New Year's Eve, birthday parties, etc. The tradition to celebrate with family a homemade dinner has deep roots in my culture. Those moments have a special place in my heart and I've decided to make my favorite Honey Cake using my mom's recipe.
If you're on a diet or cutting down carbs and fats from your food, you should stop reading now. It's not one of those carefully calculated healthy desserts. This recipe asks for good old butter, plenty of sugar and regular flour. As a result, it probably has 20000 calories but who is counting? You definitely won't eat this every day but that's what special occasions are for!
For the layers:
150g (3.5 oz) butter
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp baking soda with a slide
2 tbsp honey
4.5 cups flour
500g (17 oz) sour cream
1 can (400 g) cooked condensed milk
1. Melt butter with sugar and honey.
2. Add the whipped eggs whisk and let it warm up for 2-3 minutes. DO NOT let it boil.
3. Add the baking soda and continue to heat the mixture. The mass should increase in volume.
4. Add the flour in parts and knead the dough.
5. Put the mass to the mat and divide it into 10 pieces.
6. Roll cakes and pork it with a fork in multiple places to prevent it from bubbling. Bake in the oven on average 4-5 minutes each.
7. Take a cap from the pot (the size in diameter that you want your cake to be) and while it still hot cut circles from the cakes. Put it aside and let cool down
8. Keep the leftovers from sides. Crush them in a blender for later decoration.
9. Whisk the condensed milk and sour cream together.
10. Put the cream between the layers. The biggest secret is never cheap with cream. Put it so generously that it drips down, this way the cake will be very juicy and soft
11. Finally, sprinkle leftovers from the cakes all over your honey cake. Decorate with berries or chocolate.
12. Then leave it in a fridge overnight or at least for 4 hours. It allows the cream to soak and makes your Honey Cake juicy and delicious.
YOU COULD BE ALSO INTERESTED IN
Do you like scrolling through squares? I bet you do! Let’s be friends on Instagram!