This year I’m choosing simplicity in my Christmas decorations and turning to nature to archive it. I made Christmas stockings before but there were only 3 stockings and since we’ve got a new family member this year, I had to make a new set. That’s how the handmade felt Christmas stockings idea was born.
Also to be noted, this is the first time I used a sewing machine that I got for last Christmas. Life and other projects kind of got on the way and the sewing machine was left for a year to collect dust in the basement. I'm so happy that it finally saw the light of the day.
It took me about an hour to set it up and remember how to use it (my mom had one when I was little), but when the initial greetings were over, oh, how much I loved it! I’m certainly positive there more sewing projects coming your way.
If you want to see a video version of this tutorial, you can find it HERE
To make this amazing delicate set of Christmas stockings you’ll need white felt, (I got mine from Joann's and it's a wool felt, but you can find more affordable option here), white thread, some embellishment ( I used a hairpiece that I had on my wedding that I cut in 3 parts), rope or any ribbon and of course, the sewing machine, scissors and iron (I love this one!).
White felt was intended to be an off-white but it seems that felt of this size was hard to find in stores and I didn’t have time to wait for shipping. I got mine from Joann’s but saw some absolutely adorable quality options on Etsy and the same company represented on Amazon, just offering fewer colors.
STEP BY STEP tutorial handmade felt Christmas stockings:
- Fold felt in half and trace your pattern. I had my pattern since the last time I made the stockings (you can still see news from 2016 on it :). You can cut it from any newspaper. Add half an inch (1 cm) from each side of the pattern. Cut the pieces.
2. Sew the stockings together, leaving a part on top. Turn it out and iron it. The iron part is quite important since it gives a stocking a finished, presentable look.
3. Cut out a trimming part for the stocking (just make it double in length from the size of your stocking)
4. Sew it together, turn it out. Iron it.
5. Take the trimming part and connect it from inside together. Attach a small piece of rope on the side and sew across all of it. Turn it out and glue or sew to another part of the stocking.
6. Attach embellishment. As I mentioned before, I used the old hairpiece at my wedding. It’s been laying around forever and I didn’t know how to repurpose it. I had enough only for 3 of them, that’s how I got an idea to decorate “girly” stockings with it (mine and my daughters) and my husband’s stocking decorate with a piece of faux rabbit fur that was also lying around forever and I couldn’t find a good use for.
PIN FOR LATER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I think it turned out splendid. These handmade white felt Christmas stockings are so perfect for my natural Christmas theme and add a delicate and elegant look to it. They are so minimalist Scandinavian stockings! I just love them! Especially how they look with my wooden house stocking holders that I made this year.
What's your handmade Christmas looks like this year?
I hope you like these handmade felt stockings and will make it yourself! If you do, share it with me, I'd love to see what you create! And don't hesitate to ask me any questions. Follow me on Instagram @ifonlyapril. I try to post stories behind the scenes for my projects.
WE THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Nature village in a wine glass, or how to make this beautiful candle holder centerpiece.
How to make a natural Christmas wreath practically for free
FIND A VIDEO VERSION FOR THIS PROJECT ON MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Till next time!